Self-Directed Learning Plan (SDLP)
It’s important to develop your professional goals and how you achieve them in this course and your chosen program.
After exploring the course description, course outcomes, and unit themes and outcomes, complete your SDLP for your professional objectives and create a Skill Market pertinent to an opportunity with an employer found in your week 8 learning activity.
What did you expect to learn in this course and what do you expect to learn in your program that will help you achieve your academic and professional goals? You are encouraged to reflect earnestly about how the course content and experience might serve your goals, as well as about what you might proactively do throughout your program to develop in your target areas.
If you have determined there are additional areas from which you would benefit, or areas you would like to replace, this is a good time to do so. Remember, this is your learning plan, so design it to help you achieve your unique goals.
- Identify your anticipated nursing role.
- List your professional goals (3–5 years from now).
- Identify the Knowledge, Skills, and Accomplishments needed for the advanced nursing role that you have identified above. A minimum of three items should be listed for each of the Knowledge, Skills, and Accomplishments.
- Discuss at least three Strengths to Leverage. Complete steps 1, 2, and 3 of the template for Strengths to Leverage.
- Discuss at least one Area to Develop. Complete steps 1, 2, and 3 of the template for Areas to Develop.
- Write a reflection that discusses what you learned in this course and expect to learn in your program that will help you achieve your academic and professional goals. Provide an evaluation of how your SDLP can provide for lifelong learning. The reflection should be a minimum of 300 words.
You must submit the Unit 10 SDLP Assignment using the SDLP Template. You should not submit a written paper for the Unit 10 SDLP Assignment. If you have references to support your SDLP then you should add a heading References at the end of the SDLP Template and add the references in APA format. You do not need to have a title page for this assignment.
This Assignment will be partially graded based on evidence of thoughtful development of your SDLP.
What is it?
Skill marketing is the art or practice of proactively shopping yourself to employers, tailored specifically to each position you apply for. This allows you to speak directly to the position you are applying for and why you are qualified for the role. This should be limited to no more than two paragraphs and can be used in your Cover Letter more formally.
What to include:
- The position you are applying for, the skills that qualify you, including education, military experience, volunteer work, clinical rotations, civilian work experience, and both hard and soft skills.
When to use:
- You are reaching out to contact via LinkedIn
- You are submitting a resume via email to a company that you are interested in, but may not have listed openings at this time
- You’re submitting a resume via email
- As a part of a “thank you” or follow-up letter after an interview
- Anytime you want to illustrate a correlation between what the employer is seeking, and what you have to offer
For more information, watch this short video:
To view the Grading Rubric for this Assignment, please visit the Grading Rubrics section of the Course Resources.
Before finalizing your work, you should:
- be sure to read the Assignment description carefully (as displayed above);
- consult the Grading Rubric (under the Course Resources) to make sure you have included everything necessary; and
- utilize spelling and grammar checks to minimize errors.
LEARNING OUTCOMES By the end of this course, you should be able to: MN501-1: Determine the impact of the APRN Consensus Model on APRN practice. MN501-2: Examine advanced practice nursing roles with regards to their interaction with other healthcare providers in collaborative practice models. MN501-3: Investigate novel roles for advanced practice nursing related to emerging healthcare trends and needs. MN501-4: Develop a marketing plan for the advanced practice nurse that incorporates the competencies of advanced practice nursing. MN501-5: Evaluate a professional plan for career goals and lifelong learning. PC-3.5: Engage in career development and advancement strategies, including effective networking, mentoring, and creating a personal brand. C