The purpose of the assignment is to guide students in identifying behaviors and interactions that commonly occur during the health history portion of a well-child exam. In doing so, students can develop strategies to improve anticipatory guidance and health education by using effective, non-biased, and non-judgmental communication.
Activity Learning Outcomes
Through this assignment, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
Synthesize information in which addresses child health promotion, developmental surveillance, observation of parent-child interaction, anticipatory guidance, social determinants of health, and/or cultural competence.
- As you view the video, observe the parent-child and the parent-provider interactions. Pay particular attention to the parent’s responses to the provider’s questions making note of inappropriate and appropriate responses.
- Choose five (5) topics from the following categories to complete the assignment:
- Cognitive Developmental Milestones
- Physical Developmental Milestones
- Social-Emotional Developmental Milestones
- Alcohol/Substance Use
- Environmental Health Risks
- Temper Tantrums and Discipline
- Sleep Routines
- Car Seat Safety
- Healthy Teeth
- You will develop and complete a table for each one of the five (5) categories using the example below as a guide. (Note: There are at least 10 categories addressed in the video, you must choose five (5) and create a separate table for each one).
- For each of the tables, complete each section:
- Issue: Category name
- Negative interaction/behavior: What did you see or hear that was inappropriate?
- Positive interaction/behavior: What did you see that was appropriate?
- Guidelines/recommendation: What does the research recommend?
- Scholarly reference: Must be in APA format within the table.
- Professional/Ethical Communication: How will provide non-judgmental and non-bias education regarding the issue identified? Needs to be at least 3 sentences. Helpful Hints: Acknowledge how they feel, state the facts, and provide education or re-frame the approach.
- Scholarly references should be peer-reviewed, preferably a Clinical Practice Guideline (CPG), intended for providers (MDs, NPs) and no more than 5 years old (unless it is a clinical practice guideline’s most recent update).
Preparing the Paper
- The table provided below is an example only. It cannot be used to satisfy the requirements for any part of the assignment.
- You may format your tables according to your preference, but APA format is required for the reference column.
SEE ATTACHMENTS FOR TABLE FORMAT AND SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS (The attachment says week 3 but is the right rubric)
VIDEO TRANSCRIPT (SECOND ATTACHMENT) MUST READ IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THE ASSIGNMENT