No directly quoted material may be used in this project paper.
Resources should be summarized or paraphrased with appropriate in-text and Resource page citations.
In this project, you will conduct one of the following: practitioner interview, criminal court visit, police ride-along, or correctional facility visit. NOTE: If you believe it is impossible for you to complete any of these experiential exercises due to circumstances beyond your control, contact your instructor who will arrange for an alternative project.
Your task is to interview an individual of your choice involved in the criminal justice system: a police officer, attorney, judge, probation officer, researcher, current or former inmate, etc. (Note: Military personnel have the option of interviewing an equivalent person in the military.) Should your “expert” not be listed here, contact your instructor.
1) Provide the purpose of the paper and background information on the selected person.
2) Record the person’s views on the criminal justice system—whether the criminal justice system works, in what ways it doesn’t work, and the future of the criminal justice system.
3) Write the paper in a narrative format, detailing what you learned as the result of speaking with this person. Do not submit a “question-answer” paper.
4) Compare and contrast what your expert practitioner had to say with relevant instructional material from this course. Additionally, include one outside source that either supports or challenges what your expert practitioner said.
5) When using the instructional material or other sources, properly document and reference them, and cite all web sources. You must include the name your practitioner.