Essay: Write a 800-1200 word essay addressing each of the following questions. Be sure to completely answer all the questions. Separate each section in your paper with a clear heading that allows your professor to know which question you are addressing in that section of your paper. Support your ideas with at least three (3) citations in your essay. Make sure to reference the citations using the APA writing style for the essay. The cover page and reference page do not count towards the minimum word amount.
- Provide an example of classical conditioning, of operant conditioning, and of habituation/recovery in young infants. Why is each type of learning useful?
- Using examples, explain why intermodal perception is vital for infants’ developing understanding of their physical and social worlds.
- Cite evidence that motor development is a joint product of biological, psychological, and environmental factors.
- Using the text discussion on pages 153-157, construct an age-related list of infant and toddler cognitive attainments. Which ones are consistent with Piaget’s sensorimotor stage? Which develop earlier than Piaget anticipated?
- What impact does toddlers’ more advanced play with toys have on the development of attention?
- Why is the social-interactionist perspective attractive to many investigators of language development? Cite evidence that supports it.
- Why do many infants show stranger anxiety in the second half of the first year? What factors can increase or decrease wariness of strangers?
- How do genetic and environmental factors work together to influence temperament? Cite several examples from research.