Students learn in a variety of settings and environments. Group learning creates an environment of engagement and motivation. It gives students a chance to learn from each other in a cooperative learning setting. The arrangement and layout of the classroom should provide opportunities to work productively and cooperatively to achieve learning goals.
For this assignment, you will design a classroom arrangement for your selected grade level and the students outlined in the “Class Profile.” Consider your experiences in your field experience classroom, and conduct an Internet search to identify a variety of classroom environments. Take note of the materials found in each environment and the physical arrangement of the classrooms. Use one of the classroom design websites in Topic Materials to design your classroom. Your design should create a learning environment that focuses on creating opportunities for group and cooperative learning.
Your classroom design should include:
- Classroom layout (i.e., where the desks/tables will be placed) that facilitates group learning.
- Resources and technological tools, and where they will be located.
- Traffic flow consistent with age-appropriate physical and social development.
- Equal access to the room’s resources and technological tools for students of all ability levels.
In addition, write a 200-300 word rationale that explains how the classroom arrangement:
- Minimizes distractions and maximizes classroom time and space to facilitate students working productively.
- Encourages cooperative learning groups that foster respectful and safe communication to cooperatively achieve learning goals.
GCU style is not required, but solid academic writing is expected.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.