for this project, you will need to identify an institution (family, education, economy, medical, corrections, military, sports, transportation, food, media, technology, religion, etc.) and provide a Functionalist and a Conflict Theory analysis of your institution in American society.
Assignment Requirements (Review)
You will need to conduct research on your specific institution, using a combination of 7-10 resources (e.g., books, newspaper articles, news magazine articles, sociological journals, internet sites, videos, DVD’s, interviews, etc.). Failure to use a combination of resources results in grade reduction. Work cited must appear on a separate slide…
After you have conducted your research, you will analyze your information using the following questions as a guide:
- Discuss the history of your institution. How did it emerge? How did it come into existence?
- How do members of society perceive your institution?
- How do members of the institution perceive itself (its own institution)?
- How has the institution changed over time?
- What has caused various institutions to change?
- Discuss any stable features of the institution, that is, features that have not changed.
- As a way to better accommodate members of society, how would you improve your institution?
- Who are the major participants in the institution? What are their roles and statuses?
- Does your institution work better for some members of society (as opposed to others)?
Note: Answer all questions on separate slides. Your social conflict and functionalist analysis must appear on separate slides, as well. Social Conflict and Functionalism require detail; if necessary, use more than one slide. Finally, provide a concluding slide to wrap up your presentation.
You will then organize and submit your information in outline format on a PowerPoint (10 – 15 pages) or other slide/presentation program. Your slide presentation should include images, videos, charts and graphs where applicable.
- Find the rest of your sources to complete your project. Take notes.
- Create an outline using full sentences. (This is what you will use for Project 2: Sharing & Peer Feedback Discussion.)
- Simplify your outline and modify as necessary based on peer feedback from the Project 2: Sharing & Peer Feedback Discussion.
- Create and upload your final PowerPoint/slide presentation. Include a Works Cited page at the end of your presentation for your citations. For more information about how to create a presentation (the principles apply to all presentations even though these resources are PowerPoint specific), check out these resources: