In Weeks 1-5 of this course, you will complete an Academic Journal assignment that encourages you to document insights you have gained during the week related to the Learning Resources, Discussions, and Assignments, and how these insights apply to your personal academic and career goals. Only your Instructor will see your Academic Journal. Before you begin this week’s Academic Journal, review the Learning Resource “Guide to Academic Journaling.”
Note: For information regarding how your Academic Journal assignments will be evaluated, please review the grading rubric located in the Course Information area of the course.
For your first Academic Journal assignment of the course, you will reflect on your transferable skills, and your responses to the Psychology Survey this week. You also reflect on what your goals might be for this course and for your program of study at Walden.
Academic Journal Assignment Instructions:
By Day 7
After reading the assigned learning resources this week, complete the Week 1 Psychology Survey. To review your survey responses again, access “Attempts” and a green check mark appears under the Calculated Grade column. Click on the check mark and your completed survey will open.
If you experience technical difficulties retrieving your responses, you can recall your responses by viewing the same survey items on page 21 of the course textbook.
Review Table 2.2 on page 18 of your Course Text (“A Listing of Transferrable Skills, with Examples”).
Write 1 short paragraph for each bulleted prompt:
- Summarize any survey items that you responded to with either “Strongly Agree” or “Moderately Agree.” Explain why you responded in this way. If you did not respond to any items with “Strongly Agree” or “Moderately Agree,” explain why.
- Summarize any items that you responded to with either “Strongly Disagree” or “Moderately Disagree.” Explain why you responded in this way. If you did not respond to any items with “Strongly Disagree” or “Moderately Disagree,” explain why.
- Reflect on your goals for this course and throughout your program of study at Walden. Also, identify and comment on the “transferrable skills” that you presently possess and the skills you are seeking to obtain (from Table 2.2 on page 18 of your Course Text). Make connections to the article “Alumni Perceptions of Workforce Readiness.”
Planning for Success:
Based on your reflections on this week’s content and the results of the survey, record in the “Additional Goals at Walden” section of your Curriculum and Strategy for Success Planner any areas that you wish to learn more about. More detailed instructions are provided in the template (located in the Week 1 Learning Resources).
Do not submit your Curriculum and Strategy for Success Planner at this time; you will submit your Planner in Week 6.
By Day 7
Submit your Academic Journal entry.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Journal entry for review and grading, do the following:
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on “Submit your Journal entry by Day 7” and click in the link.
- Click Create Journal Entry.
- In the Title field, enter the name of the Journal Entry using the file naming convention: WK1Journal+last name+first initial.
- In the Entry Message box, provide the journal entry by either typing your responses directly into the box, or copy and paste text from a document on your computer. Do not attach document files for your journal entry.
- Click Post Entry.
To access your rubric:
Week 1 Journal entry Rubric
Check Your Journal entry Draft for Authenticity
To check your Journal entry draft for authenticity:
Submit your Week 1 Journal entry draft and review the originality report.
Submit Your Journal entry by Day 7
To submit your Journal entry:
Week 1 Journal entry